Tuesday 22 January 2019

Favorite TV- Parks & Recreation Edition

**came across this unfinished, unpublished draft post from 11th Aug, 2018 and it just looks perfect now, so posting it as is :) **


I have recently watched two series of two of my favorites-Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I have loved them together on Saturday Night Live and now I love them individually in '30 Rock' and 'Parks And Recreation'.

What I love and probably will always associate with '30 Rock' is how the show very accurately and hence super-funnily depicts the workings of corporations like GE and NBC and often touches upon the concepts of product placements and six sigma in the backdrop of showbiz and corporate world in general. Favorite character- Jack Donaghy, the suave senior executive at a large corporation, who wants to build things, has conservative political leanings and played by the ultimate Alec Baldwin.

But I guess I have to say I am more taken with the series 'Parks and Recreation'. First of all, kudos for creating a documentary style comedy on a governmental department- Parks and Recreation. It has all the best elements-

  1. Documentary style filming ('The Office' introduced me to this genre)
  2. Comedy- (I am big on comedy- F.R.I.E.N.D.S., The Big Bang Theory, SNL are on my-anytime-watch list )
  3. choosing a government department that is not FBI or CIA or the likes but an unassuming, very believable one that looks after city and national parks in a state that is not New York or California or Florida but Indiana.
The character sketches, character journeys and the choice of actors are an absolute delight.

Favorite Characters:

  1. April Ludgate- a young Parks intern turned government employee- doesn't like to small talk, loves gruesome/gross things, super sarcastic, prefers animals over human beings, does not want to conform to regular lifestyle 
  2. Andy Dwyer- the show starts with him being injured because of a land pit and sets course for the series. Love the final season episode that shows his various roles-a cover band lead guitarist,fantasy alter ego Burt Mackalin- an FBI agent, shoe shineist, head of a London based NGO for a few month and best of all- children's TV show star -Johnny Karate.





No comments:

Post a Comment