Thursday 29 December 2011

BENJAMIN JONES GOES SWIMMING




BENJAMIN JONES GOES SWIMMING

Benjamin Jones in confident tones
told his wife, "On the fourth of July
I think I'll compete in the free-for-all meet.
I bet I can win, if I try."

But his wife said "My word! How very absurd!
You haven't gone swimming for years.
With others so fast, you're sure to be last,
And I'll blush to the tip of my ears."

Well, the Fourth quickly came, and waiting acclaim
Were wonderful swimmers galore,
Each poised in his place for the start of the race,
While spectators crowded the shore.

The contest began, and Bengy, poor man,
Was passed on the left and the right.
His pace was so slow that a crab saw his toe
And thought it would venture a bite.

Ben noticed the crab as it started to grab
And--perhaps the result can be guessed:
The thought of his toe in the claw of his foe
Made him swim like a swimmer possessed!

And the crowd on the shore sent up a great roar
As Ben took the lead in the dash,
While his wife on the dock recieved such a shock
She fell in the lake with a splash.
                         

                                          By Aileen Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment