Sunday 26 April 2015

The City


What makes you fall in love with a city? Last I checked, a guy posted on Facebook that he got engaged, and is in love with the city where he met his fiancee. Years ago, I had seen on television, a cricket world cup match being played in Melbourne. Before the toss, they showed the beautiful sites of Melbourne city, along with the MCG. I had never been there, still I felt like I 'loved' that city. So much so that I told my father, "I'll live there one day, and you'll live with me." Papa of-course said yes to amuse his little girl.

The little girl has grown up, and outgrown that love for that city.

When 12, she moved from the city she loved to a city she had never even thought about. Eight years later, she claimed she loved her new hometown.

Again, years ago, probably around the same time of my love affair with Melbourne, I had heard about Mumbai. Like not just Bollywood, but about the city. Now I don't remember what was what I heard, but I had decided "I want to live in Mumbai someday".

Unlike the Aussie city, I was not too vocal about my decision on Mumbai, because a) I was a child and had chosen Melbourne and b) I was a child and was 'laughed' at by some not-ill-meaning relatives about my wildness to live in a 'foreign' land. In those days, Mumbai too was 'foreign' to me so, probably to avoid b), I kept quite.

 No big issues really. Not then, not ever.

Now, after the two cities I have lived in and loved, it has been an year in Mumbai. Things that are different are that I don't live with my parents now and there are more exciting things than just McDonald's when I was the kid in love with, yes, Melbourne.

Right now is pretty interesting for me. I'm interning- so it's like my first job.  J Office is in Pune, another city I had never thought about. Lovely weather! But I yearn for human companionship. No, I don't work with robots (and I don't think I would like that). There are people, but no one I talk to. Like no friends to hangout with, or just chat for hours together. So, decided to spend the weekend in Mumbai.
Sorry, but no sorry- I love Mumbai :D The City is fun.

12.30 am- late night dinner in Amar Juice Center, Juhu.
1.00 pm- lunch in college with friends
4.00 pm- Mocha Chip and Donuts and talking with a friend in Dunkin Donuts, Powai
4.30 pm- Haiko- to window shop and for AC, and KFC- to use the restroom
5.30 pm-  Mediterranean Focaccia Bread and Coffee in Starbucks, Powai
7.00 pm- Crossword showroom (books ♥)
7.30 pm- Sneaked into a movie hall and watched last 25 minutes of Cinderella
8,00 pm- Watched Avengers- Age of Ultron- the movie whose tickets I had bought
10.30 pm- a non-veg meal at McDonald's
11 pm- on my bed, blogging.

Love for the city bases out of the carbohydrates apparently, but really because of the humans. The friends I talked with. Talking really may have been bitching, gossiping, cursing, giving cold looks to the new people staying in our college hostel, or discussing the clothes passersby were wearing around Haiko/KFC. But without this, despite a fun job in a cool city, life was BORING. Not living in any other city has never affected me like this. Mumbai is The City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment