Monday 12 October 2015

Movie Review: The Martian

I'm a Space Pirate!


Director: Ridley Scott

Starring: Matt Damon (I love him in everything)
               Jessica Chastain        
               (Interstellar's McConaughey's daughter)
               Kristen Wiig (my SNL star)
               Kate Mara (House of Cards' Zoe Barns)
               Sean Bean (The Ned Stark)
               Sebastian Stan (whom I confused with Robb Stark)
               and many more...

Genre: Science Fiction

Recommended For: Matt Damon lovers like me

The Gist: Due to a severe storm on Mars, NASA's astronauts are forced to leave the Red Planet, leaving behind a crew member Mark Watney (played by Damon) they believe is dead. How Mark spends his time there and what NASA and other Earthlings do about it is what the movie is about.

-ve points: Towards the end, a launch vehicle has to be designed such that it is 5000 tonnes lighter (or some other figure like this). This requires losing some parts of the vehicle like the seats, a few machine attachments, the windows (yeah!) and the top of the ship (get this!). What they do use as a substitute is something I can't digest! (not sure if scientifically the new material makes sense, but it defies my common sense)

+ve points: The movie did not leave me at any point being hopeless or sad like Gravity or Interstellar (both awesome movies) The Martian takes the adversities with a pinch of salt and uses his brain to come up with solutions that are so simple they are elegant!
All the greatest brains of earth, literally all of them, are trying to solve my problem and the greatest solution that they have come up with is- drill a hole.
My Verdict: Watch it.

My decision: To read the book "The Martian" from which the film has been adapted. My friends say the movie is good, but the book is way better.



No comments:

Post a Comment