Thursday 12 November 2015

Diwali


Festival of Lights. Third-standard essay bookish start :P

Diwali is my favourite festival. It involves cleaning, which brings certain discipline that I lack otherwise. It involves lights, which everybody loves. It signifies home-coming, which for a family of four living in 4 different cities means a lot.

This festival either comes in October or November, i.e either around Bhaiya, my or mummy's birthday. In Delhi, it meant Diwali mela in my school, which basically was pot-luck. Every kid brought some food from home, put up stalls in the school ground and played games. It also meant Diwali mela in our neighbourhood. Swings, rides, lights, dilli-chaat...

In Ahmedabad, Diwali is a festival of 5 days, marking New Year. It gives Gujaratis yet another reason to rejoice, travel and eat out. Majjani life! :D

This year, Diwali meant a bit of everything. As someone who avoids grooming and generally prefers pajamas, even for special occasions (That's right :P), I decided to dress up. Like always, (since last 11 years), we did not burst crackers. It hurts the Earth and closer to heart, sickens my papa. We light our home and pray to Gods, meet and greet people and watch TV and go to bed.

Mummy and I performed havan on Diwali morning. It felt really good. :)

It was my mummy's birthday too. :)

She loves gardening. So she spent her day painting the pots and pruning the plants. It made her happy, and call me crazy, but it looked like the plants were happy too. She loves South-Indian cuisine so we ate out. Her usual: onion uttapam. Dad and I experimented and had Spring Dosa, where the filling was vegetables. We ordered filter coffee too, to which dad added sugar! To end with, we chewed meetha paan on our way back :D



No comments:

Post a Comment