Friday 22 January 2016

An exciting night

Powai to Colaba, via the free-way at night. The lights in the background, viewed from a fast moving car, with a cool breeze through the window through my hair. Friends mocking the RJs of all the FM stations.

Marine Drive, some of my friends chewing sliced raw mangos, one having cotton candy, another one getting her pictures taken and yet another one glued to the phone. Enter two strange men, one tuning his guitar strings while the other one gazing into the stars and a few flying lanterns. The men sit next to us girls, facing the sea and start jamming. And suddenly we all are singing to their tunes. It's midnight and we and more strangers all around are One under the night sky, in front of the sea, with the music.

As someone who gets sickness in the Mumbai traffic and is averse to being out after eight, this experience just blew me away.

A few of my friends enjoyed getting ready for the night, make-up and accessories and everything girls do, some of them ticked the 'Colaba Social' experience off their list and probably many other things. But I wasn't really into it, until the ride on the free-way and the jamming by the sea.

In the hindsight, these happy experiences came out of some begrudging choices. I hate to be the one to always sit in the passenger seat when we book a taxi. I know why that is, because I'm fat and it makes no sense for other girls to be cramped with me in the back-seat. So by default I sit next to the driver. But then the free-way happened. Also, I wasn't really keen on going to the Marine Drive, as it was late in the night (by my standards). Good thing I tagged along with my group, or there wouldn't have been any starry musical night.

Sometimes it's good to go out of your zone, do things you don't want to and see the world a little differently. Well, sometimes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment