Wednesday 27 April 2016

Cooking for Kitchen Jon Snows: Recipe #1


This one is for my parents,
"To my mother who handed me novels instead of kadhchis and kadhaais and my father who found his pride in my little feats in academics and co-curriculars. I have been a pampered kid."

Except for a few neighbors and some relatives, no one ever made me feel that cooking is something I MUST know. Especially my parents. And only their opinion mattered. After my engineering, my mother started feeling the need for me to grow up and start learning the art, for job would take me far and no one succeeds with an empty stomach. But MBA happened, and for another two years, I didn't learn anything in the kitchen.
A few neighbors have turned into most and some relatives into all. But now, my parents too want me to be able to cook little things to fill my Punjabi tummy which will help me focus and succeed in my career too. Again, only their opinion matters :)

So all the Jon Snows of kitchen, you can consider the following weblog either as an ego-booster or a morale booster, because like you, I know nothing (about cooking).

Recipe One: Alu Matar (curry), with Rotis

"Seeing the colors and understanding the smells is the key"
-my mummy                   



Step 1: Chop 1 onion and a few garlic buds (or ghiyakus them)
Add one tablespoon ghee or olive oil in the pressure cooker
Cook till onion turns into golden brown
Step 2: Chop or ghiyakus 1 tomato
Add to the golden onion and stir at medium flame
Step 3: Add 1/2 teaspoon dhaniya powder (coriander powder),
less than 1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric),
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
and salt to taste
Stir well

Step 4: Chop potatoes (1-2), put them in water to avoid blackening
Add some matar (peas) with chopped potatoes
After rinsing, add potatoes and peas to the cooker with onion-tomato paste
Add about 1 glass of water




Step 5: Cook on medium flame till the whistle comes
Simmer  for 10-15 minutes
Before opening the lid, check to make sure no steam is left

                                   

Enjoy with non-round but self-made rotis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment