Wednesday 9 October 2019

Just Because.


I wrote my first piece when I was in class 4th. That was a poem. That followed with many other poems, short stories, a play and ultimately blogging.
While my writing style evolved from poetry to blog, the content changed from fiction to anecdotes (and the occasional book/movie/tv-series reviews). My words were appreciated by some, dismissed as confusing by others and even led to a few fights back in the day (so proud!)

In the recent past, some of my posts mentioned how things weren't going my way, and then a hope that they will. Now, they have started to. But one thing I realized that has changed is not the circumstances, but my own interests.

From some-one who read so many books and wrote so many posts, I now am some-one who keeps on drafting posts in her mind but out of sheer laziness, seldom pens it down. Most of this is also attributed to the binge-watching of all the content being streamed now. I recently read 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood and earlier this year saw one of the cleverest shows on American politics- 'Veep' starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus; and have been meaning to review those two. But I haven't.

Last year, I had started learning Spanish on Duolingo (my favorite app of all times). Earlier this year, I started pursuing a Certificate course in Spanish Language and Culture. People asked me if I was doing this to get a job in a Spanish speaking land. The answer was no. This was my 'just because'. Started on really strong, but like many other interests, it took a backseat too- laziness fueled by infinite stream-able content again took over the steering wheels here.

This changes right now. I have an exam to sit for to achieve the first level of certification in Spanish. With this post, I am not going to vent out sad feelings or paint a story. What this post is for me to discipline myself to get back to the thing I started 'just because' and take it to the finish line. I decide to study all the 16 units and revise all of them, so that towards the end of this year, I ace the Spanish test, much like most tests that I have sat for. Not just that, I will publish at-least one blog-post written entirely in Spanish by the end of 2019. You know, just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment