Tuesday 12 May 2020

Time Travel


The world now-a-days feels like Time Travel. Not just the fact that pandemics apparently occur every 100 years or so. The many changes in our lives are now mirroring big episodes from the past. 
"First passenger train runs today..."- is this from a few hours ago; or from the year 1853?
While in 2020 I am Youtube-ing "how to bake a cake without oven"; my mom was doing just that in a pressure cooker back in 1970s. 
Twice-a-day Ramayan and Mahabharat episodes have clearly transported an entire nation to the 1987-1990 Doordarshan era.
Study on weekdays and Games on weekends. I have done this in the early 2000s. I am doing it since late March of 2020 as well. 
[Back then study was like Math, English, Hindi and Social Studies, now it is learning Spanish Language and Culture😎]
[Back then the Games were cards, scrabble, carrom and Tambola. Now, same! 😄]
Speaking of Tambola: 
Have heard on numerous occasions how mom-dad, uncles-aunts and their respective families would all know each other and spend moments together to cherish. Have also heard my parents saying that our generation doesn't have these kind of bonds; all we have is WhatsApp! 
Well, in this world of social distancing, my world is social again. Proof: for last 5 weekends , every Saturday night is spent playing Tambola, on WhatsApp, with-
  1. My mom and all her siblings
  2. All their children
  3. My aunt's cousin
  4. My cousins' in-laws
  5. My sister-in-law and her siblings
Don't know what Einstein was looking for from his time machine, I got my time travel alright!!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Vinti...I agree that Social distancing has made ppl more social.I hope such articles drive ppl to think that Man was ever a social animal but had forgotten this fact while chasing life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think at-least for immediate future, our life and its chase would be different. Maybe more focus on health and quality of life :)

    ReplyDelete