Wednesday 4 January 2023

Dried Inkpot

 

Writing used to be easier for me. Words flowed naturally when I wrote my first poem at age 9. Also when I wrote my first blog-post 14 or 15 years ago. Most definitely in the years 2011, 2012 and 2015 (per the statistics of this blog). It was easy to write poems, short stories, book reviews, TV series reviews and even anecdotes. Whereas now, it seems difficult to write an email or even a text.

I feel like the main reason is that in the earlier years, external feedback didn't matter more than the internal satisfaction that comes with writing a piece. There was a fearlessness back then. Maybe a nonchalance. While today, it is all about- (1) whether this thought is writeable? (2) whether what I wrote can be published? (3) how many views, likes, comments? (4) what next can I write on, I cannot be a 1-post wonder. Must write again and more. 

Has the inkpot dried? Maybe. So why refill now? Because it is cathartic. With many negatives of the real world, that plague the mind, writing is like a familiar few sips of tonic that can slow-heal the heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment