Saturday 9 July 2011

APNU AMDAVAD MA VARSAAT

Growing up in Delhi, rains would mean hailstorms as well. And coolness all around.And fear of dust-storms.

Mumbai's rains are a completely different thing. Downpour continues for hours and hours together and you love it. Then eating corn, feeling the cool breeze-carrying tiny water droplets along with it-on your face and being joyous becomes synonymous.
But, Apnu Amdavad ma varsaat has no match at all!
Ahmedabad is an amazing place as around five years back there was nothing like drainage system anywhere in the city. Of course, around 8 years back this was a desert land.
One uncle had once asked me how do I like here? My prompt reply was its a quiet place. He was shocked and inquired whether he had indeed heard me calling Ahmedabad a quiet place. Yes! Coming from the capital city of the country, that's what I felt about my new home.
But my quiet abode started acting like a chameleon during the monsoons. And the funnily inclined slope of my room came to my notice when rainwater started flowing inside my room , from the crevices of the closed balcony door. My room's  all the floor area was very soon converted into a shallow swimming pool. My first rains in Ahmedabad.
Last year, it so happened, it wouldn't rain otherwise, but whenever I had to go to/come from  the railway station or the airport, clouds would indulge in pouring heavily.
This year, its been like a long wait, and seeing all the other places drowning merrily in rains all over the tv news, it came as the most welcome change - it rained yesterday!







Savoring the aroma of tea and bhajiyas , like all fellow Amdavadis, I have in fact reset my ipod's wallpaper too- its a toad enjoying the rains- or is it a frog?

No comments:

Post a Comment