Friday 15 July 2011

So, what's cookin?

Thursday,8 July

including my latest craze for bloggin' ---an easier way to spend time on the net--or for that matter just spendin' time---evening walks and cleaning the clutter sprees whats keeping me occupied are my lil attempts in the kitchen.

like every indian home , mine too is usually complaining about my lack of cookery skills...rather the absence of the skills...seen as so important to lead a life.
May be, yes , they are integral afterall...

it all started as a fun moment--something that was planned in a couple of minutes...amazingly fast considering my other set of absent "skills"- of decision making!!
 it was Mother's Day some 4 years ago...mom had been watching the cookery show "Khana Khazana"---people like her , who are already masters of kitchen love to see such recipe shows to expand their horizons,or sometimes to improvise on the tv chef's already delightful recipe!!---would never understand what joy they experience in this exercise!!

@ the end of the show the amiable chef was ready with his cheeky goodbye line..."so all my viewers...i ask u to go straightaway to the kitchen and surprise your mothers"....he ended with his signature smile.
This end was the beginning of my kitchen story.
Mom fell asleep instantly as the show ended....but someone inside me just woke up
... CHEF VINTI D.

cleary the most hilarious of my antics....i rushed to the kitchen,fatafat tore apart a packet of mumra...we call it phuliyan..... collected all the veggies i could lay my hands on , took a knife---[which had always been my dad's excuse to stop me from going to the kitchen...his line (borrowed from hindi films)--"ye bachchon ke khelne ki cheez nahi hai"...always "protecting" me from kitchen work]---cut the cucumbers, then chopped tomatoes,in went onions,added haldiram ke different namkeen,luckily found coriander chutney in the fridge,even put in some ketchup... mom had once told me the best looking dish is the one with all the colors-in my recipe there were white,yellow,orange,red,green,brown(nuts from the namkeen)...only missing one wasblue...easily solved as served it in a blue glass dish...i was proud of my thinking ...
 ....but something was missing...oh yes!!..potatoes....me in excitement grabbed a few potatoes ,washed, peeled and chopped them...added them to my masterpiece...tossing the recipe to evenly distribute the contents...garnished with coriander leaves....moving with confident strides....

...wake up ,mom, i screamed...SURPRISE....she was sooooo SURPRISEd.... happily started enjoying my sweet gesture...until...

...a piece of potato went to her mouth...she asked.."u added any potatoes"?? i readily nodded YES MOM....she laughed and laughed and exclaimed..."vinti,we humans usually like to eat potatoes atleast boiled...not kuchcha"

oops!!!!!
i had added raw potatoes!!! didn't boil them!!!!
no wonder like every indian home, mine too is usually complaining about my lack of cookery skills....rather the absence of the skills...



well, life comes back a full circle, as I say, its back to square one for me... hahaha... still struggling in the kitchen.... blogged the above writing about an year ago and had added the raw potatoes some 5 years ago..... but, yeah! have improved somewhat....or so I think..:)

No comments:

Post a Comment